At the end of each day, I post a recap of what happened and what progress I made. I try to be as detailed as possible when tracking the project.
First of all, this post is two days late! My sincerest apologies for those of you who waited at the edge of your seats for this; when things come up, they come up you know? Anyway, here it is:
After coming off of a horrible Wednesday, I needed to psych myself into starting well on Thursday. If I could sum up Day 8 in one word it’d be “excellent.” Now for some deja vu!
Number of hours spent: 9
- One Master Lock Padlock ($4.92 cost difference for lock exchange)
- 2 rolls of Scotch Packaging Tape ($10.93)
Amount spent: $15.85
Number of (13-gallon kitchen) bags trashed: 2
Number of giveaway boxes: 5
Yesterday I barely got anything done; I didn’t even try to take before-and-after pictures because my progress simply wasn’t noticeable. However, I did accomplish getting more boxes and replenishing my stock for the next few weeks.
Today, I had a clean start and decided to attack what I call the “Wall of Stuff.” The hallway area in my house is shaped like a “T”. Today I focused on the head of the “T” which looks more like an upside down and reverse “L” because of the Wall of Stuff that blocks off the other side. The Wall makes the garage, laundry room, linen closet and guest room all inaccessible.
Here’s how the Wall of Stuff looked head-on before I attacked it:
The clothes are stacked so high that not only are areas inaccessible, they’re also not visible at all.
And here’s a profile of the Wall. Don’t be fooled by the mirror at the end of the hallway:
I first attacked this monster on Monday while awaiting the arrival of the storage unit. From a head-on perspective, my first battle took down about one-third of the wall’s height. Today’s battle succeeded in taking down the entire wall and I’ve managed to recede the sea of stuff that was on the other side of the wall by a few feet.
As I was sorting through all the clothes and putting them in boxes, I often felt like I was experiencing deja vu. I would come across an item like a long black polyester skirt and put it in a box. Then moments later I’d find another long black polyester skirt that looked exactly the same. There were several of these items that I felt like I’d seen before and I almost felt like the items were going through the bottom of the box or that I wasn’t making any progress at all.
When you’ve got a house filled with stuff, things you need will often get lost. Then you end up buying a new one to make up for the lost item. I think that may have been the case with all these clothes I was finding that looked the same. Or maybe someone in my family just likes having more than one of the same thing?
I hit a legitimate bump in the road today when I completely ran out of packing tape. I couldn’t seal or assemble any boxes which like yesterday, put me a complete halt. I immediately drove to the store, bought some tape, and came back. I was back to work without a hitch.
Despite the bump and deja vu, there was plenty of progress made. The image below shows 1) the wall before the attack, 2) the results of the first attack and 3) the results of today’s attack.
After my progress today, the linen closet, guest bedroom and laundry area are all accessible and the door to the garage is visible. I’m hoping to clear out the pathway all the way to the door to the garage. I couldn’t clear out the stuff remaining on the right side that you see on the above picture because that stuff is what’s overflowing from the guest bedroom. That room is filled with stuff at least to my mid-thigh.
All in all, I’m most excited to finally see the linoleum floor in the laundry area. I haven’t seen that floor in years!
While I was cleaning I noticed a trail of ants along the door frame of the linen closet all the way to the bookshelf in the hallway:
When I followed the trail, I found that all the ants were feasting on an Easter candy: a foot-long chocolate bunny. This bunny was huge the last I saw it, and here’s what remains:
RIP foot-long chocolate bunny.